Random thoughts and stories about my daily life

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Adderal or life

This semester has been a giant experiment for me. I am blessed with ADHD, and I wanted to see if I could go without my medicine. I had the idea for this over the winter break. Last semester I did take my meds and it was a successful year in academics, but at the expense of every thing else.

When on meds, like Adderal, you can consentrate really well, but you go through very dramatic mood swings. There were times when I would be really happy and not five minutes later I would be really depressed. Also, when I was taking adderal I would literly go days without eating. It can and did supress my appertite. Another bad thing is that you have a hard time going to sleep. If you take your medicine too late in the day then you are screwed for sleeping that night. This are major drawlback of taking this.

Over this semester I have been my normal off medicine self. I'm always in a good mood, but at the expenise of my academic work. I have a really hard time staying focused to complete a task. (FYI so far this post has taken me 20 minutes) My grades this semester will not be as good as last semester.

(30 minutes)

What should I do? Should I take the hit to my physical well being or do good in school?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kev said...

Wow, that's a tough one. I'll ponder that a bit and render my opinion the next time we get together.

1:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everyone who doesn't understand the reality of learning differences should read your post. It really opened up my eyes to what it is like, and why the meds are not a simple solution to the problem. Can you tell us more about what areas of study it affects you the most in? I know you are a musician, and doesn't that require concentration?

1:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home