Random thoughts and stories about my daily life

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

18 to bullet, 21 to shot

Why is that in America you can fight and die for your country at the age 18, but you can't legally drink until you are 21? Personally I don't drink, but this is an issue that really confuses me. I think that if a person is old enough to take a bullet he is old enough to drink.

Edit: So I did a little research on this topic over the weekend. A State is allowed to change the drinking age to whatever they please, but the government stepped in and said that if you don't have the drinking age at 21 then we will take away your highway funds. This is the reason that the age is not 18.

Also, over the weekend I talk with my friend that is fighting in the war in Iraq and asked him that if he wanted an alcoholic drink would he get in trouble? He said no. He said that his comanding officer doesn't care what he does in his free time, but as long as he is aware and ready at anytime to do his job he doesn't care.

So, if you are in the military, depending on your CO, you can drink while you are on active duty, but if you go home you are considered a normal person.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kev said...

I think that if you're on active duty in the military, you actually can drink legally at any age, unless you're, say, stationed in a country where it's not allowed at all (like an Islamic one).

But yeah, I agree that we shouldn't be punishing a whole lot of people for the transgressions of the few. Crack down on drunk drivers by actually doing that, and not by restricting those who could consume responsibly. This is a big soapbox issue for me, because it often affects people's ability to hear live music; I've posted about this before.

1:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home